[python-win32] Re: COM registration/unregistration and

Roger Upole rwupole at msn.com
Mon Jan 21 08:01:05 CET 2008

Mark Hammond wrote:
>> Runas also works on XP, so you should be able to reduce the version
>> check by a notch.
>
> Does it actually do anything there?  Maybe it prompts for admin
> username/password when the user isn't an admin (as opposed to vista, which
> fails even when the user *is* admin but not yet elevated).  I guess I can
> google as well as you (but not tonight :)

It brings up a dialog asking for alternate username/passwd, with the
username
defaulting to admin acct.

>> Could you capture the output by adding ">somelogfile" to the passed
>> args ?
>
> It appears cmd.exe isn't used.  I probably could use COMSPEC as the
> command,
> but then I'd be likely to get 'cmd.exe' instead of 'python.exe' (which
> would
> be much worse) and I'm really not sure its worth it for the extra
> complexity
> - what do you (or anyone) think?

That does sound more confusing.

>> For unattended installs, it might be helpful to have some way to
>> suppress the elevation attempt and just let it fail.
>
> Yes, good point - I should check a value in 'flags' before - 'no_retry'
> sounds reasonable (ideally the boolean wouldn't have a 'no_' prefix, but
> having flags default to 0/None/False etc sounds more compelling). But now
> is
> the time to get it right, so better names welcome :)

How about 'unattended' ?  That way any other places that might ask for
user interaction would have a common switch.

> FYI, I've finally got everything building with the Vista SDK which is
> excellent - thanks for your help.  I'll just get one more Vista/Explorer
> sample working and I'll get onto a new pywin32.

I'm just about done with the changes for building win32api with UNICODE,
but I don't think I'm going to commit them before the next release.

            Roger