[python-win32] replacing CreateProcess command for Vista compatibility?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jan 10 22:37:27 CET 2008

Kirk Vander Meulen wrote:
> Hi, I'm running the program Pymol (written in python) on Windows
> Vista, and in trying to run one of its plugins, I em encountering the
> following error:
> WindowsError: [Errno 193] %1 is not a valid Win32 application
>

> Probably not all of that is relevant, but I thought I'd at least lay
> it out there in case there's something obvious there.  In doing crazy
> amounts of googling, I *think* the problem is that the python file
> uses a command called "createprocess()", and, while this may work ok
> in XP, it does not in Vista (something to do with how the security
> setup has changed).  The software is not guaranteed fully Vista-proof,
> so it seems like a possible explantion.
>
> So I'm hoping, although not very optimistically, that I can tweak this
> command and regain compatibility with Vista.

Unless your app needs administrator privileges, CreateProcess has not
changed in Vista.  This is more likely to be some kind of configuration
problem.  Do you know exactly what command line it is trying to run?
Are you able to execute that command by hand from a command shell?

You can get that error if you try to execute a 64-bit application in
Win32, but I don't know why it would be trying that.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com