[python-win32] pywin32 install via setuptools -- conclusion?

Christopher Galvan cgalvan at enthought.com
Fri Aug 8 16:59:19 CEST 2008

Michael Gundlach wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Mike Driscoll
> <mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us> wrote:
>
>> Michael Gundlach wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sorry to be dense, but I assume you mean the ActiveState cookbook at http://code.activestate.com/recipes/langs/python/ ?
>>>

>> He's probably referring to "ActivePython":
>>
>> http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/index.mhtml
>> http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/feature_list.mhtml
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Thanks, Mike.
>
> Michel, thanks for the tip.  Having my users install the ActivePython
> distribution isn't really a better solution, as I'd just be replacing
> "install pywin32" with "install ActivePython".
>
> Instead, I'm looking for a way to use distutils to install my module
> on a user's computer, and at the same time, install the necessary bits
> of pywin32 so that COM object consumption and COM event registration
> are supported.  That way, the user just types
>
>     easy_install <my_package_name>
>
> and voila, everything is in place.
>
> If this doesn't exist yet for pywin32, I might be willing to have a go
> at writing the patch, if I had some pointers.  Perhaps it would be
> possible to make a distutils pywin32 package which turned around,
> downloaded the install executable, and ran it; then module developers
> could install_requires pywin32 and it would Just Work.  I'm new to
> distutils, pywin32, and COM, but I'm willing to learn :)
>
> Any more ideas, anyone?
>
> Michael

I work for a company called Enthought who also ships a Python
Distribution(EPD) which includes an 'egg' version
of pywin32 that someone could easy_install.  The entire distribution is
free, but unfortunately there is an annual fee
to access the egg repository for individual packages.  However, I would
be more than willing to help you get
started  with using setuptools and creating an egg for pywin32 :).  Even
if the pywin32 project doesn't upload the egg to
PyPi, there is still another way through setuptools to make a single
install step for your users.

-- Chris Galvan