[python-win32] VS.NET2005; missing include/lib paths and libraries

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Sep 25 13:11:08 CEST 2007

> I just grabbed the latest SVN head (trunk) of Python and attempted to
> build using VS .NET 2005 Express, and the sln/vcproj files in the
> PCbuild8 directory.
>
> I had a few problems building even the pythoncore and python targets.
>
> First off, the Python code appears to rely on the MS Platform SDK,
> although the documents don't seem to mention this. I guess it's just
> assumed this is available?

Yep - and with the express edition you must manually install it.

> Second, the project files don't explicitly reference the Platform SDK
> include/library directories, so various headers/libs can't be found. Is
> it just assumed that the IDE global settings (Tools -> Options ->
> Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories) are configured to point at
> the relevant platform SDK directories?
>
> The above two points may just be assumptions for usage of the project
> files. However, the final issue I had was missing libraries in the
> linker command; e.g. pythoncore needed me to add "user32.lib
> shell23.lib
> advapi32.lib" to the list of linker inputs. I don't think the IDE has a
> global list of libraries that always get linked in; how are these
> libraries expected to be found/known-about?

I'm not sure about that.  As Paul mentioned, this configuration isn't
actually supported - PCBUild8 is contributed and generally used with the
full version of VS, with updates happening only on the trunk.  Anything you
can come up with to help the next poor soul would be appreciated though -
create a patch at bugs.python.org and assign it to me if you like.

Cheers,