[python-win32] Adding a really odd feature to Access as an odbc driver

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz ghankiewicz at rastertech.es
Tue Mar 6 19:48:40 CET 2007

Tim Roberts wrote:
> Access is trouble any time you have more than about 2 people using a
> single database.  It just wasn't designed for that environment.

I know, I know... just imagine that before accepting this job I didn't
even know Access *could* be used *like* one, I always thought it was
like a toy sqlite with fancy UI for single users.

> Surely it would be MUCH less trouble to move the backend to Postgres,
> SQLite, or even SQL Server Express, all of which are free.

Indeed, which is what I'm going to do in the long term, rewrite the
application.

> Is the original application in Access?  Or is it another language that
> just happens to use the Jet database?  What API does it use to talk to
> the database?

It is just a VB without source code which talks to the database through
a DNSless connection, which really means I can't do what I was
proposing, since that would mean changing the original VB application to
use a specific ODBC, and I can't. I'm just asking because I'm curious
about this sort of serializing gateway "architecture".

In fact, does sqlite run on windows with multiple writers shared through
SMB? I know sqlite works with multiple writers, but my experience so far
is only under linux, so I would like to know if that works on windows
the same way or there are problems like the horror stories I've heard
about NFS locking.

Any weird suggestions appreciated, not doing anything real here, just
toying with the idea of doing something perverse (if using Access wasn't
enough!).

--
Rastertech España S.A.
	Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz

C/ Perfumería 21. Nave I. Polígono industrial La Mina
28770 Colmenar Viejo. Madrid (España)
Tel. +34 918 467 390 (Ext.18) 	  *·*   	Fax +34 918 457 889
ghankiewicz at rastertech.es 	  *·*   	www.rastertech.es
<http://www.rastertech.es/>