[python-win32] polling with os.popen3

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sat Jun 30 03:07:26 CEST 2007

TK Soh wrote:
> On 6/29/07, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:
>> TK Soh wrote:
>> > I'm trying to use os.popen3 to replace subprocess.Popen for python 2.3
>> > compatibility. According to the document, os.Popen3 class is not
>> > supported on Win32, so I can't poll() the pipe. I wonder how I can
>> > check if the process open by os.popen3 is still running. Thanks in
>> > advance for any advice or pointers.
>>
>> Surely, the MOST efficient way to do this has to be to download the
>> Python 2.3 version of subprocess from
>> http://effbot.org/downloads/#subprocess.
>
> Thanks for the advice, but this isn't exactly something I have in mind
> though. I was thinking more of a solution 'native' to python 2.3.

Why?  What's the point?  If subprocess is known to solve your problem,
then why would you waste even half an hour of your time trying to
re-engineer it?  It's not like this is some hack job by a high schooler
-- that download is the same subprocess module that was accepted into
Python 2.4, by the same author.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com