[python-win32] meaning of bin string representation ofPR_ENTRYID

Christian K. ckkart at hoc.net
Fri Jun 29 08:32:04 CEST 2007

Mark Hammond wrote:
>> > The values above already *are* a hexadecimal value - you
>> > can't safely change any part of it.
>>
>> I do not want to change it. I hoped that the extracted part might be
>> enough to identify a message within one message store.
>
> That's what I meant - I should have said "you can't make any assumptions
> about any part of it" - indeed, you can't even *compare* 2 values to see if
> they are the same - you must ask MAPI to compare them.  You'll have to check
> the MS docs for exactly what they do and do not promise...

This sounds as if there was no point at all to do anything with the
eids. If I am not even allowed to compare two ids, how could they point
at different mail items?

The docs say:

"""
The PR_ENTRYID property identifies an object for OpenEntry to
instantiate and provides access to all of its properties through the
appropriate derived interface of IMAPIProp.
"""

I assume that means it is ok to store the eids and use them with
OpenEntry to access the messages store's items.

Thanks again, Christian