[python-win32] pywin and UCS2/UCS4

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Jun 21 08:32:39 CEST 2007

As far as I know, Windows is treated a little differently than other
operating systems - since Windows itself is UCS2, Python will only support
UCS2.  pywin32 would break in all kinds of ways, as we assume a Python
Unicode object's data can be passed directly to Unicode win32 functions,
whereas UCS4 would require encoding into a temporary buffer.  OTOH, if you
are simply asking about "side by side", then using a UCS2 and UCS4 build on
the same machine should be no different to 2 UCS2 builds on the same
machine.

Cheers,

Mark