[python-win32] Building with VC8

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Jan 19 03:34:25 CET 2007

> I tried building with Visual Studio 2005 (which uses the VC8
> compiler line)
> and distutils reports that it cannot find a compiler.

Right.  It looks like distutils still just supports only the version used to
build Python itself - and no official Python releases use vc8.

> Where should I go to find a solution for this?   Is this
> better posted to the
> distutils list (although this is just a Windows issue)?

Yeah, I think distutils is the best.  I believe there is already some
support for building extensions with cygwin, so allowing a different MSVC
compiler to be specified would follow that pattern.  The distutils folk
would have the best insights into how to best approach this.

FWIW, some of the pywin32 modules do still have msvc6 project files checked
in and up-to-date - if you only need to build a subset that might work for
you.

Cheers,