[python-win32] Registering a Server COM to make it visible in thereference list

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Apr 30 04:18:04 CEST 2007

>           I have made a COM server using python and
> registered it using
> win32com.server.register.UseCommandLine(TrackingClient).
> That all works
> fine and I can instantiate it using late binding, however I
> now need to
> reference that in C# or VBA in excel.  The problem I have is
> that when I
> lok for the server in the refernces list in VS2005 or Excel -
> the progId
> of this doesn't appear in the list of availa ble COM servers.

That list is of the type-libraries registered in the system, and by default,
Python has no such typelib.  It is possible to manually create a typelib
that describes your object though - google for other posts by me on this
topic.  For many years, there has been interest in upgrading win32com to
auto-create a typelib - let me know if you are interested in helping with
that...

Cheers,