[python-win32] _winreg.SaveKey question

Rodney McBride rodneywmcbride at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 13:18:46 CEST 2006

I am getting an access denied error when calling _winreg.SaveKey and I
believe that the error is being caused by not having the SeBackupPrivilege
set when calling the _winreg.SaveKey method for a remote host (I am
attempting to export a registry key from a remote host to a file for backup
purposes). My question is how do I set the 'SeBackupPrivilege'?

Here's a copy of my source code:

##################################
import os, string, sys, win32con, _winreg

def createFolder(path):
    if os.path.exists (path):
        pass    # do nothing
    else:
        os.mkdir(path)

def remoteSaveKey(host, subkey, file):
    rhostreg = _winreg.ConnectRegistry(host, _winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
    remotekey = _winreg.OpenKey(rhostreg, subkey, 0, _winreg.KEY_ALL_ACCESS)

    _winreg.SaveKey(remotekey, file)

destsrvr = "\\\\server1\\backup$\\"
# Registry key (and all subkeys) to be processed for backup/restore
regpath = "Software\\Cisco Systems, Inc."

# Open hostfile and read hostnames into a list
readfile = open('d:\scripts\dev\SideAsrv.txt', 'r')
hostfile = []
for host in readfile:
    hostfile += [host.strip()]

readfile.close ()

for srvname in hostfile:
    outputpath = destsrvr + srvname
    createFolder(outputpath)
    outputfile = outputpath + "\\" + srvname
    srvname = "\\\\" + srvname
    # Call the function to connect to and export the remote registry key
    output = remoteSaveKey(srvname, regpath, outputfile)
    # DEBUG
    print outputfile
    # Select the next host

Thanks,