[python-win32] Unpackaged binary version of pywin32

Ross McKerchar it at crummock.com
Fri Nov 17 09:55:36 CET 2006

Paul Moore wrote:
 > On 11/14/06, Ross McKerchar <it at crummock.com> wrote:
 >> I would like to repackage the win32 extensions as an msi using the the
 >> bdist_msi distutils extension, allowing me to deploy the package to
 >> multiple clients using group policy.
 >
 > The executable installer (bdist_wininst) format is basically a zip
 > file with an executable header added, so you can unzip it using
 > something like winzip. Having said that, the installer runs a
 > postinstall script to do a lot of the setup actions - I don't know if
 > bdist_msi handles postinstall scripts.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get distutils working on the extracted
binaries (I couldn't get it to skip trying to compile, a step doomed to
failure if you dont have a compiler installed).

However, I did manage to manually repackage the install as a (fairly
primitive) msi. If anyone would like this (build 210 for python 2.5)
please email me. If there's enough interest I'll post it for download.

-ross