[python-win32] Distributing a Python app using MSI

Emlyn Jones emlynj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 02:14:42 CEST 2006

Hello,
This maybe better suited to the Distutils-SIG, but for now I'll try it here.
I'm just wondering if anybody on this list has ever used the msilib functions
used to build the Python installer to build an MSI installer for their own
Python application. Sort of like distutils but to install scripts into a user
specified folder as well as modules into .../site-packages.
It looks like I could hack the msi.py script used to build the Python
installation but I wondered if anybody could point me towards a hello world
type example, I'm not really up to speed on the finer details of MSI.
Google'n around it looks like I will have to install the extension modules
using distutils and then my application using some other method. I'd like to
install the whole lot (including dependencies if necessary; Stuff like
fpconst) using MSI.
If I'm being silly/missing something shouts will be gratefully heard.

Cheers,
Emlyn.
P.S. py2exe et. al. are not an option because it's a web application.