[python-win32] Transparent Windows - API failure

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jul 6 18:20:02 CEST 2006

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 18:32:30 -0500, "Metz, Bobby W, WWCS"
<bwmetz at att.com> wrote:

>All,
>	This is my first attempt with setting transparent backgrounds,
>so probably simple error.  I've had some success making Notepad
>transparent, but am getting no results against a Tkinter window.  Also,
>any workaround to using SetLayeredWindowAttributes on Win2000?  I
>noticed in the docs it's not in win32gui to prevent issues with NT?

SetLayeredWindowAttributes depends on having the target window respond
in a standard way to the normal window messages.  Tk does ALL of its own
drawing -- every single pixel.  It doesn't use the native OS UI services
for anything.  My guess is THAT'S why SetLayeredWindowAttributes fails.

You may have to wait until Vista to get transparent Tk windows.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com