[python-win32] Visual Basic

Speers, Ted Ted.Speers at actel.com
Mon Feb 6 18:33:12 CET 2006

>If I can do this I'll be golden:
>
>Imagine an Excel Macro Start  that does the following:
>
>Sub Start():
>    Set form = MyUserForm
>    load form
>    form.show vbmodeless
>    <run the Python module described below>
>end sub

Yes, but you can't really do that from Excel either, can you?  If
MyUserForm is a VBA form within Excel, then there are ways you can do
this from Python using Excel's object model.  But when you are using a
VB main program of your own creation, you have probably not created
enough COM objects for that level of control.

- -All of my VBA code is "within Excel."  Sorry for the confusion.  I don't know any better.

- -Your next statement hints at a solution to my contortions.  All I really want VB for is the damn widgets.  When I first looked at Python more than a year ago, I spent quite a bit of time looking for a way to easily design and use widgets with Python and I found nothing easy to use or even comprehensible.  I'm hoping your wxPython reference is the answer ... I have not heard of it before.

If you are switching to wxPython, then what you want to do is recreate
MyUserForm in wxPython code, and eliminate the VB code altogether.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com