[python-win32] Python as scripting glue, WAS Python for sysadmin

Bokverket bokverket at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 22:09:21 CET 2006

Bob wrote:
> IOW, making Python for Windows what AWK was for DOS :-)

I'm confused. http://www.vectorsite.net/tsawk.html states "The Awk
text-processing programming language is a useful and simple tool for
manipulating text". I don't see anything like "access for example
Outlook Express address lists, Word, ..."
-- They are zillions of years in the history of computing apart, i.e. almost
40 :-)
Some people think that Python owes something to AWK, though, for instance it
had associative arrays already from its outset. Quite advanced for its time.

You are definitely right about it being very pipe-oriented; I did not think
of it in that way. The analogy was just that awk became widely use as a
scripting language.  Windows was unheard of when it was developed, in fact
it even predates PC-DOS, so Bill Gates had not even started on his learning
curve. Now we have typical Windows app but a lousy scripting
environment/language (I think), thus my original post.   What you say below
sounds great.

I have under development a Python implementation of IBM's CMS Pipelines,
which is in essence a "super AKW and Linux/Unix pipes" all in 1 package.
Would you like to hear more?
-- Indeed.

Best,
Goran