[python-win32] Runnin Python app as service with separate console

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Wed Apr 5 09:43:15 CEST 2006

Byron Morgan wrote:
> I have a robust, stable Python script that runs 24-7,
> crunching a telnet feed of real-time data. Problem is,
> it has to run in a dos console window on the desktop.
> I would like to run it as a service, and be able
> connect to it and monitor performance with a separate
> console (either gui or not) from time to time. I'm
> hoping for advice on how to proceed.

Making the script run as a service is not terribly difficult. Start by Googling for, say, "win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework" to get some sample code. Cut-n-paste should get you there.

On the "separate console" front, I've given up on local, desktop-based solutions and now use a web-based terminal I wrote for use with CherryPy: http://projects.amor.org/misc/wiki/HTTPREPL

Hope that helps,

Robert Brewer
System Architect