[python-win32] Possible bug: what information to provide

Alex Jouravlev alexj at businessabstraction.com
Wed Oct 12 14:21:17 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have a potential bug report. PythonWin fails to invoke a COM Object's
function. I am a bit puzzled what information should be provided. I am not a
COM guru

 - I am using PythonWin to write some scripts to an off-the-shelf COM
enabled system
 - the system is outside of my control, I cannot get into it with a debugger
etc.
 - All examples are provided in VB, PythonWin is not officially supported as
COM client

Details:
	OS:WIN XP SP2
	Python 2.4.2
	Python 2.4 PythonWin extension build 204
	Application: Sparx Enterprise Architect

>>> r.ref
<COMObject EA.Repository>
>>> r.ref.Update()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 489,
in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError, "%s.%s" % (self._username_, attr)
AttributeError: EA.Repository.Update

With all other objects of their interface, the following pattern appears:

	All attributes work as documented
	No method (from what I can see) works as documented.

(documentation is in VB though)

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alex