[python-win32] LOCALE related stuff Re: Setting environment

Andrew MacIntyre Andrew.MacIntyre at aba.gov.au
Thu May 12 02:17:53 CEST 2005

> From: Nalli Dinesh
>
> Hmm. I tried out this patch. This patch is about adding
> update function to os.py.
> Update is removed in python2.4, now adding this patch gave me
> access to use update in python2.4 My problem persists.
> locale.setlocale doesn't work even though we set LANG
> environment variable using update function.
> I don;t know whats going on. locale.setlocale worked
> perfectly when I set LANG environment variable with
> os.putenv,under python 2.3.5.

As this is on Windows, you'll also need to keep in mind that the
standard Python 2.4[.x] distribution is built with MSVC 7.1, whereas
Python 2.3.x distributions were built with MSVC 6.  There are 2
different C runtime libraries involved, and the issue you see may
be due to differences at this level rather than in the Python codebase.

Python 2.4[.x] is still buildable with MSVC 6 (thanks to Raymond
Hettinger), so if you have access to that compiler you can check this
out.

Andrew MacIntyre                  \ email: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au
Planning Branch                    \ tel:  +61 2 6256 2812
Australian Broadcasting Authority   \ fax: +61 2 6253 3277
-> "These thoughts are mine alone!" <---------------------------------