[python-win32] Interfacing to windows explorer

Roop Mukherjee bmukherj at shoshin.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jun 7 20:14:32 CEST 2005

I have a python app that runs on my machine. I want to use IE as a front
end to it. To that end I want to start up a new IE window when this
program is run, and respond to all events on the window (like clicks or
form submissions) by calling functions in a python module. I want this to
run on machine's that do not run web servers.

I do not have any of the microsoft developer tools. I am hoping to do this
by using exporting my python object's interface as a COM server. I want
the IE to run as a client of this server and send all actions to it. I
have seen the examples of how to use excel or word as clients (in "The
quick python book", Harms et. al.). e.g.
xlapp = Dispatch("Excel.Application")
xlapp.WorkBooks.Add()

Does someone know of similar examples for IE? Does IE have a library like
the Microsoft Word XX Object library that I can use from python?

Thanks,
-Roop