[python-win32] pythonw.exe hardcrash on py2exe wmi-sample / Pythin 2.4

Massa, Harald harald.massa at suedvers.de
Wed Feb 9 13:19:31 CET 2005

(xposting from py2exe users)

 Hello,

I just upgraded my system to Python 2.4. I tried to do an former
2.3-setup.py script to repackage my application within Python 2.4

This application uses wmi and therefor has an typelib-argumentlist.

on **generating typelib stubs** the run fails. I went down to
py2exe/samples/advanced where the wmitest is, and used the setup.py there.

same error. py2exe tries to generate typelib stubs, and crashes HARD.
Not a simple traceback, but

"""Fehler in Anwendung" ... "Die Anweisung in 0x1e03ab43´verweist auf
Speicher in "0x34202c39". Der Vorgang "read" konnte nicht auf dem
Speicher duchgeführt werden."""

(that is the german error from windows, when Memory at not allowed areas
is being accessed)

After that, only "ok" and "Abbrechen" (which do the same :( )

I tracked that down to the line (in build_exe)

makepy.GenerateFromTypeLibSpec(info, bForDemand = False)

that is the one that crashes badly. It kills everything ... I put
debugging-prints around it, and even the debugging-prints immediately
before are not flushed to stdout anymor.

What can I do? OS is Windows XP prof SP2, acual updates. Is there an old
pywin32 bug exposed just through sp2??

Harald