[python-win32] drawing a bitmap

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Apr 22 07:50:58 CEST 2005

> hi,  i can't seem to create a bitmap in memory using pywin32.
>  my assert
> fails, telling me that the bitmap size is (0,0)?

I'm no expert on GDI programming at all.  However, I have code that works
that looks like:

    hdcBitmap = win32gui.CreateCompatibleDC(0)
    hdcScreen = win32gui.GetDC(0)
    hbm = win32gui.CreateCompatibleBitmap(hdcScreen, size_x, size_y)
    hbmOld = win32gui.SelectObject(hdcBitmap, hbm)
    # draw on hbm
    win32gui.SelectObject(hdcBitmap, hbmOld)
    win32gui.DeleteDC(hdcBitmap)
    win32gui.DeleteDC(hdcScreen)
    # hbm can now be used.

That appears subtly different.  The code is from
win32\Demos\win32gui_menu.py - it draws some bitmaps on menus.