[python-win32] shortcut creation during installation

Emmanuel Breton emmanuel.breton at logilab.fr
Wed Sep 15 09:53:53 CEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 02:26:28PM +0000, tamike at noos.fr wrote:
> I want to distribute my program for windows users and create
> shortcuts on desktop and in the start menu :

What you could do is use an installer like Inno Setup (which is free and
really efficient). It will take in charge the creation of icons, shortcut
and also prompt the user for the application path.
http://www.jrsoftware.org/

> For this I wrote a script setup.py  and a post-installation script (used by the win32 executable) which creates links with the function

What I have experienced so far looks the same: I have made a distrib with
py2exe, (which plugs itself into setup.py). Then I create my installation
script within Inno format and get as a result a single file which installs
everything (as it is usually done with professional application)

> My second link starts Acrobat reader with a file as argument. This time, values are :
 [...]
> But my path to acrobat reader (i.e. in target) may not be the same for an other windows user.

If you create a shorcut with target set on your pdf file, it should be
sufficient, Windows will find out the reader automatically. (as long as MIME
types are correctly defined)

--
Emmanuel Bréton                                 LOGILAB, Paris (France)
Tel: 01 45 32 03 12                              http://www.logilab.org