[python-win32] Building Extensions with BCC

Mark Lamoreaux Mark at TriAxialData.com
Thu Sep 9 22:53:11 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to use/test the IndexedCatalog extension on Windows.  No binaries existed for this extension, so I'm trying to compile it.  Unfortunately, I don't have Visual Studio 6.0.  I do have Borland C++, though, and after several small adjustments, was able to successfully build the extension using:
>python setup.py build --compiler=bcpp

Now that I have it built, I assume I still need to install the extension.  When I try:
>python setup.py install
I receive the following error:  "Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed."

I've read posts where others have successfully used extensions built with BCC in the past, so is there something I'm doing wrong in trying to finish the install, or does Python 2.3 no longer support building extensions with anything other than Visual Studio 6?

Thanks!