[python-win32] python and pdf question

Larry Bates lbates at syscononline.com
Tue May 11 12:32:46 EDT 2004

Mike,

I've done something like what you describe using ReportLab
and ReportLab's PageCatcher module.  Background .PDF form
is imported into ReportLab and placed on canvas.  Then I
draw my data fields on the background form and save as .PDF.
This doesn't actually use the .PDF "forms" but accomplishes
the same end result.

Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

I am not new to python but I am new to python on windows and have a current
project where I would like to create a pdf form where I can retrieve data
from the user for processing in a python program. Does any one know if I
create a pdf form is it possible to retrieve field data from the pdf form
using python (possibly using a COM interface?) and then update the form
fields from the python program after the data has been processed? Is there
any books on this or any links to documentation on this type of thing
because I can't seem to find it anywhere and I am unfamiliar with COM on
widows and how to use it effectively as of yet but I am working on it. I
would appreciate any type of help you could provide even a point in the
general direction on any of this.

Thanks so much for any help you folks can provide.

Michael Tallhamer
Medical Physicist
Department of Radiation Oncology
Rocky Mountain Cancer Centers