[python-win32] Re: Found how to use TLBs with py2exe,

jkreps at rev.state.ne.us jkreps at rev.state.ne.us
Mon Mar 1 10:25:35 EST 2004

                      amaurer at snafu.de
                                               To:       jkreps at rev.state.ne.us, pyama at snafu.de,
                      03/01/2004 09:14          python-win32 at python.org
                      AM                       cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [python-win32] Re: Found how to use TLBs with
                                                py2exe,

>> Py2exe is a very neat tool but in certain circumstances it is not
helpful.
>> For example:  you have developed an Python based app that connects to an
>> Oracle backend via ODBC.   Using py2exe works well to create a Windows
>> executable, but the IT department needs to install a user dns on each
>> workstation and the Oracle admin needs to add each user to the Oracle
user
>> database.  So, the only thing saved by using py2exe is not having to
>> install Python on each workstation.  However, when IT sets up a
>> workstation, or rebuilds it after it corrupts itself, it has to install
>> several apps anyway (virus scanners, schedulers, QuickTime, Roxio,
Network
>> clients and utilities, etc..., so Python can be just one more.  Py2exe
is,
>> however, a very nice way to insure that the user does not have the
ability
>> to edit *.py files by allowing Python NOT to be installed.
>> JLK

>Little Hint:

>Wise Install Manager, Ino-Installer (Freeware), MSI (Microsoft).
>With this tools, it's no problem to install any software and ODBC-DSNs.
>You can also uninstall software (Control Panel ->> software).

Standard software, all in use by us, but ...

>Are these problems two different problems?

Yes.  The idea of py2exe is NOT to have to install Python, for which it
works well.  But, some applications require additional installations that
py2exe doesn't help with.  For example, py2exe can bundle the Oracle mxODBC
driver into the app.exe, but it can't install the Oracle client nor setup
the user dns, tasks restricted to our IT staff.  So one could just as
easily, when installing these additional apps, install Python.  The only
reason not to is to keep users from editing *.py scripts.  Py2exe makes
this easy because the *.py scripts are not in the 'dist' directory that
py2exe creates.  Don't get me wrong... I appreciate py2exe, but its only
virtue in our circumstance is to keep *.py scripts out of the hands of
users.
JLK