[python-win32] Tab-completion of data/properties and win32com

Jaco Schieke win32com at ml.schieke.net
Sun Aug 1 16:07:56 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I am new to both python & win32com, so please see this question in context:

I am trying to use IPython interactively to do some win32com programming
and want to use the completion feature.  The problem is that
tab-completion only completes the object methods, and not the associated
properties, for instance:

After compiling the COM interface using makepy (through pythonwin) for
Excel for instance, I try the following:

 >>> import win32com.client
 >>> xl=win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
 >>> xl.<TAB>
xl.ActivateMicrosoftApp     xl.InputBox
xl.AddChartAutoFormat       xl.Intersect
xl.AddCustomList            xl.MacroOptions
xl.CLSID                    xl.MailLogoff
xl.Calculate                xl.MailLogon
xl.CalculateFull            xl.NextLetter
xl.CalculateFullRebuild     xl.OnKey
xl.CentimetersToPoints      xl.OnRepeat
... etc

Now this only returns the methods associated with Excel.Application and
not the properties.  Is there any way to get access to the properties as
well?

Tx for any help.

Regards,

Jaco Schieke