[python-win32] rts - services

Gregory P. Smith greg@electricrain.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:25:20 -0700

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 01:03:09PM +0200, Carlos Alvarez wrote:

>     I am avaluating using Python for a commertial aplication. I really dont know Python but it seems to be the right language for what we want to do.
>     I am facing a big problem. We want to do a program that should stay recident on win32 machines (95,98,me,nt). I should not show any dos window (or so). I should neither have to ask the user to install Python on their machine (but installing python dlls is aceptable). We dont know how to do it in Python. It should work as a service but i think it should be not a service because it should be able to be started by another program and it should run at win 95 etc.
>     Any help will be apreciated. We are new to Python and despite we have found 'compilers' and installers we havent seen any place where it says that what we want to do can be done in Python.
>    What about using Python as an embbed language?

You can do all of the above.

Look for py2exe (use google to find it) to byte-compile and package
up your python program into a single executable plus a small number of
.dlls that can simple all be installed in a single directory.

The one thing I have not personally done is make a python program run
as a win32 service.  Other people have.

Greg