[python-uk] PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'Abc.xlsx'

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Wed Feb 9 07:55:14 EST 2022

You might consider the idea that a script which modifies the spreadsheet should read from one file, and write to a different one. This might not fit your scenario, but if it does, then the write will never encounter the locking exception.

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022, at 03:58, SW wrote:
> Responding to list in case this helps someone else as well:
>
> When you open a file in Window ("when the excel is already open following error") there will generally (or maybe always, I don't recall precisely) be an exclusive lock taken on the file.
> This means that while another application has a file open you'll get this sort of error when you try to access the file in any way.
>
> Therefore, the solution is to make sure not to have the file open in another application while trying to run your script on it.
>
> For more information you'll want to search for things like "Windows file locking".
>
> Thanks,
> On 09/02/2022 09:42, Arshad Noman wrote:
>> When I enter data using Tkinter form in an Excel file when the excel file is closed there is no error but when I enter data using Tkinter form when the excel is already open following error comes:
>>

>> Exception in Tkinter callback
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "C:\Users\Dani Brothers\Anaconda3\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1705, in __call__
>> return self.func(*args)
>> File "D:/Python/Book Bank/New folder/PyCharm/Final/Excel.py", line 61, in SaveBook
>> workbook.save(filename="BookBank.xlsx")
>> File "C:\Users\Dani Brothers\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\openpyxl\workbook\workbook.py", line 392, in save
>> save_workbook(self, filename)
>> File "C:\Users\Dani Brothers\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\openpyxl\writer\excel.py", line 291, in save_workbook
>> archive = ZipFile(filename, 'w', ZIP_DEFLATED, allowZip64=True)
>> File "C:\Users\Dani Brothers\Anaconda3\lib\zipfile.py", line 1207, in __init__
>> self.fp = io.open(file, filemode)
>> PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'Abc.xlsx'
>>

>> What to do to correct this error? I have already searched on google search many times but no solution was found.

Jonathan Hartley  USA, Central(UTC-6)
twitter:@tartley  https://tartley.com