[python-uk] Cardiff Python Dojo

Leo Garcia leogarcia61 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 07:00:42 EST 2017

Hi all,

I am looking to set up a regular Python Dojo in Cardiff, broadly following
the template of the London Python Dojo (http://ldnpydojo.org.uk/) to work
collaboratively on a short project in a relaxed social setting, finishing
up with code review and discussion.

I'd like to know if any Cardiff-based members of the mailing list would be
interested in attending this kind of event, so that I can get an idea of
numbers, and have any thoughts or suggestions on its format.

It would also be useful to know if any members of the list work for, or are
aware of, organisations who would be interested in hosting and/or
sponsoring an event like this (typically by providing the obligatory
beer/pizza and covering venue costs, with opportunities for promotion,
networking,
and hiring).

Cardiff has a well attended monthly Python meetup (http://www.pydiff.wales)
which has a presentation and discussion format. The Dojo's emphasis is on
improving your Python skills through coding with others, so while there'll
be a shared interest and audience with PyDiff, the meeting will be
different enough to avoid stepping on their toes!

I would look to hold the sessions monthly, and look at a wide range of
challenges from kata-style short exercises (e.g. http://cyber-dojo.org/),
to demonstrating good practice, writing web applications, data analysis
etc. and whichever topics are voted on by the group.

If you think you'd attend a Cardiff Python Dojo, or are interested in
sponsoring the meetups, please let me know either by replying here
or emailing cardiffpythondojo at gmail.com. Any suggestions on the format are
also welcome!

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Leo Garcia