[python-uk] Python Platform Developer - Counter Terrorism

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Feb 15 16:34:49 EST 2017

On 15 February 2017 at 22:06, Tom Wright <tom at tatw.name> wrote:
> The treasury places internal fraud detection and money-laundering detection
> responsibilities on financial organisations (hence your bank asking you
> three items proving your identify and then refusing to open an account when
> you only have two).

I'm very familiar with anti-money-laundering / Know Your Customer
regs, but intrigued that it's being called "Counter Terrorism".   I
personally had a simpler theory, that the recruiter just had the wrong
subject line by mistake ;-)

> My understanding is that python/numpy/pandas is a common choice for this
> type of activity due to:
>
>  i. It being batch processing / offline, hence reduced performance
> requirements
> ii. High productivity of python for ad-hoc queries

That's interesting to know. I was pitching these tools to a major
client a few years ago who have a substantial team developing
anti-fraud metrics - mostly in Excel with no budget ;-)

- Andy