[python-uk] Intermediate TDD workshop in London on Monday (next week) (free)

Harry Percival harry.percival at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:50:27 EDT 2016

Hi all,

with apologies to those far from London -- I'm running a free TDD workshop
on Monday at skillsmatter, which I hope some of you may find interesting.

The audience would be programmers who've made a start on testing, who are
beginning to get the hang of unit tests, and maybe a bit of mocking, and
are starting to ask themselves some of the "what next?" questions:

- what order should I write my tests in?
- how do I get my tests to drive development, from a high-level and from a
low-level, and keep focused on user needs?
- how much mocking should I do?  When is it worth striving for perfectly
isolated unit tests, and what are the tradeoffs vs integrated /
higher-level tests?
- what do people mean when they say "listen to your tests"?  How do I get
my tests to give me feedback on the design/architecture of my code.

Some pretty big topics there, and I'm not saying I'm going to come up with
any final, perfect answers for you, but I hope that, by working through a
practical example (web-dev/django), we can see some of these techniques and
trade-offs in practice, and hopefully have a discussion that should equip
you to think about what kind of testing will work best in your own projects.

More info here:

http://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/intermediate-tdd-workshops-in-london-and-portland.html

Hope to see some of you there!  Or in America!

HP

Harry J.W. Percival
Twitter: @hjwp
Mobile:  +44 (0) 78877 02511