[python-uk] 2 Principle Engineer roles in London up to £95k

Tom Wright tom at tatw.name
Tue Dec 6 10:29:35 EST 2016

Perhaps replying immediately doesn't count as pause, but I hope this
constitutes thought.

I would make three points:

I. The tone of the response may in part be due to the recruitment topic
more than anything else. This is unfortunately a rather fraught subject.
Bulk recruitment ads are so common  it is unsurprising that people would
view them as a piece of text rather than a correspondence with a real
person.

II. I suspect that many readers do not view this list as for communication
that requires "professional" standards. And might view the imposition of
professionalism in this context as problematic.

This represents the key conflict at the heart of codes of conduct: in-group
behaviour that can be damagingly exclusionary, versus the imposition of
strict rules that impinge upon an informal setting.

III. I don't know if the guidance on this list for jobs posts is
particularly clear, and if I am not mistaken is mostly held in people's
heads. An unfortunate side effect of no clearly defined rules is that the
informal rules can be unforced rather unfriendlily.