[python-uk] What is community involvement? was: DJUGL - Django User Group London: this evening (April 22th) at 19:00 c/o WayraUK

Anand Kumria akumria at acm.org
Thu Apr 23 18:06:32 CEST 2015

Hi Alex,

[ Note, I've changed the subject since this is specific to DJUGL anymore ]

On 22/04/15 15:55, Álex González wrote:
> Hi g(uy|irl)s,
>
> my 2 cents here.
>
> As a co-organiser of the Golang meetup I feel the pain of trying to
> find sponsors for food, drinks & some place to host. I had sponsorship
> offers from recruiters but I tried to avoid them for the exact reason
> that you (Anand) are mention, but, let's be honest:

I didn't mention any specific reason, please don't put words into my mouth.

> I don't care who sponsors an event. This is a win-win kind of
> relationship:

Rubbish.

You absolutely care. If the Klu Klux Klan decided to sponsor DJUGL,
you'd be OK with that?

I hope not. What if the Free Software Foundation offered sponsorship?

Each sponsor brings both an agenda and moral baggage.

> - recruiters than at least show interest in the techs or in the people
> around the tech will grow their network. I will definitely prefer to
> talk to Jon about my next career movement than with somebody else that
> just know Django as a keyword.

That is your choice and, no doubt, part of the agenda behind their
(Austin Fraser's) sponsorship.

> - we, as users of the tech are going to have a great event with dinner
> & beer networking included.
>
> Said that, I understand that you can feel this event as a SPAM kind of
> event, but it's not the case at all

Again, please don't put words into my mouth. I've not complained about
the event.
I queried it's raison d'être . I also query what it means to say you are
"part of the community".

> You are asking Jon why he doesn't join other meetups, perhaps he
> doesn't want? I don't think that he needs to feel ashamed for that.

The thing is, Jon said "I have worked hard over the last 7 years to
change the typical perception [of recruiters] and become an active
member of the Django community."

What does "active member of the Django community" mean? Jon, for
example, also notes that he has been involved with DJUGL for 3 years; so
in the prior 4 years what kind of community involvement does he mean?

Personally I feel that community involvement is a range of activities,
the least important of which is organising physical face to face meetings.

Why do I say that?

The Django community - indeed most communities - existed before there
were physical meetings and will continue to exist when Django becomes
just another boring technology where there isn't a need to meet others
involved in it.

Like C, or assembly or COBOL. I'm sure those programmers get together
and discuss things, but in-person? I'd be surprised. Eventually both
Python and Django will get to that point.

> I talked once in one of the DJUGLs and I said that my company was
> hiring, Jon didn't even mention anything about that when he saw my
> slides in advance.

That is good to hear. The reports I've heard are not accurate regarding
mentions of hiring then.

> And finally, I also think that is a shame to have 2 events around the
> same technology in the same day or even week. The time is limited and
> I try to suit my calendar to 1 event per week and if I were interested
> in this 2 events I would feel sad that I couldn't assist to bot for
> time restrictions.

Both events are not the same and - arguably - even if they were there
are different moral imperatives behind them.

> Both of you do a great job organising your meetups, let's keep it and
> in case that you can help each other, why not? At the end, the
> community will be the one winning.

Community .. it's an easy word to co-opt. But somewhat harder to define.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,
Anand

--
“Don’t be sad because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss