[python-uk] copyright info in source

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Mon Sep 9 17:13:26 CEST 2013

Why would a file ever be seen out of context? Surely to make my source
available without the LICENSE file is breaking the terms of my license,
so I'm not sure why I ought to jump through hoops just to cater for such
people. Am I wrong?

     Jonathan

On 09/09/13 14:30, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> I concur, you do not have to put the full license text in it, a
> reference to it is fine.
> The logic behind that request is that some files may be seen out of
> context of the project (as there is no reference), without having a
> license attached the file can be legally misrepresented as being
> public domain.
>

> So yes a one liner as Andy has given is all you need, by having your
> name and year, any reference can be then looked up by anybody who is
> interested.
>

> On 9 September 2013 14:24, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com
> <mailto:andy at reportlab.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 9 September 2013 14:18, Jonathan Hartley <tartley at tartley.com
>     <mailto:tartley at tartley.com>> wrote:
>     > They'd like me to include a license and copyright info in every
>     source file
>     > (including empty __init__.py files).
>
>     I have had this with big companies before, long ago.  It may actually
>     be sufficient to have one line saying something like...
>
>     "Copyright Jonathan Hartley 2013.  MIT-style license; see
>     mypackage/LICENSE.TXT for details"
>
>     - Andy

Jonathan Hartley    tartley at tartley.com    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley