[python-uk] copyright info in source

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Tue Oct 8 08:27:28 CEST 2013

I approve of the sentiment, but it seems to me that the unlicense is
most definitely a LICENSE. Putting legal terms and conditions, or waiver
of same, into a differently named file, seems a step too far.

Nevertheless, sounds cool to me, I'll read up and consider using it. Thanks!

On 06/10/13 22:45, Harry Percival wrote:
> apologies for resurrecting a dead thread, but i came across this
> license and was impressed:
>
> http://unlicense.org/
>

> On 12 September 2013 20:08, John Lee <jjl at pobox.com
> <mailto:jjl at pobox.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Jonathan Hartley wrote:
>     [...]
>
>             I've seen it done in a special "coding style test suite"
>             (that gets run along with all the other tests).  Slightly
>             nicer than a push hook IMO because you see it earlier and
>             because it works the same way as all your other automated
>             tests of your code.  There was a bit of special code so
>             that you got one failure per coding style violation I
>             think (including one per missing copyright statement), but
>             those are bonus points.
>
>             Maybe somebody has written a test runner plugin that does
>             that? My quick searches didn't turn one up, though there
>             is this, which could easily be adapted (not a plugin, and
>             looks like it wants to be)
>
>             http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12227443/is-there-a-plugin-for-pylint-and-pyflakes-for-nose-tests
>

>             John
>

>         I don't think it should be a test runner plugin, so much as
>         just a test. Maybe a big common utility function (in a pypi
>         package) which a tiny custom test function can then call to
>         parametrize it for your project.
>

>     That works.  The reason I suggested a plugin was so that plugin
>     hooks can give the coding style check function the modules (and
>     scripts) on which to operate.
>

>     John
>

> --
> Harry J.W. Percival

Jonathan Hartley    tartley at tartley.com    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley