[python-uk] Suggestions / best practices for deployment

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed May 15 13:54:46 CEST 2013

Harry, are you anywhere near London?  If so, you would be welcome to
pop into ReportLab some time and we could tell you endless war stories
about deployment.  I remember giving a talk on the subject at
EuroPython in 2003 and basically scaring the hell out of all the small
startups present about how much of their time would be wasted on this
in coming years.

Each team evolves their own practices, and a lot depends on whether
you have one team working on one project or (like us) you have
anywhere from 10-20 systems and are battling to keep them all deployed
in a consistent way, as all the other tools around you (Python, pip,
Django, wsgi etc) all insist on continuing to evolve around you.  One
big headache is that pip almost-works but can't handle a few packages
(numpy).

We have four key and separate areas:
1. How do you set up a server?
2. How should a developer / tester set up their new machine?
3. How to install a new project on a server?
4. How to set up a local development environment for a project?
(which often involves automatically copying down recent snapshots of
live data and files, to reproduce the live environment).

Probably worth a look at the recent "Two Scoops of Django" book which
has some good points on best practices.

On 15 May 2013 10:57, Harry Percival <harry.percival at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear UK Python chums,
>
> some of you probably know I'm writing a book about TDD for O'Reilly.  I'm
> looking for some help with the (first) chapter on deployment.
>
> http://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/what-to-say-about-deployment.html
>
> What do you use for deployment?  Do you have any kind of automated scripts?
> How do you manage virtualenvs, the database, apache/uwsgi config... What do
> you think might work as a sort of "best practice lite" for a simple site for
> beginners?  (django, sqlite database, static files)
>
> --

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420