[python-uk] Suggestions / best practices for deployment

Deepak Garg deepakgarg.iitg at gmail.com
Wed May 15 12:48:34 CEST 2013

For small websites ( upto 3 - 4 VMs ) I use fabric. I define small modular
tasks that get executed in AWS EC2.
I wrote a bunch of scripts around a year before for the same:
https://github.com/gargdeepak/django-cloud
Its not tested for quite some time and should be read well before being
used.

For larger deployments I would prefer Puppet (for non AWS deployment) or
AWS Elastic Beanstalk. It allows easy management and change in the
deployment configurations.

Both of the above can be used in a TDD way such that after every step, you
would know why exactly the deployment is incomplete / failed and how
exactly the output should look like.

Thanks,
--

Deepak Garg,