[python-uk] Reading list

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Jun 26 15:43:17 CEST 2013

I have learned a surprising amount on the beach over the years.
Usually I muddle through some technology during the rest of the year
picking up bits and pieces, then read a book end to end on the beach
and actually have time to grasp the fundamentals and a lot of best
practices, and I think "why didn't I do that sooner?".

I would suggest
1. Read the official Python tutorial.   It's as good as many books, and free.
2. Google's Python class.  A few hours of structured exercises, gets
you doing something.
3. Set yourself a problem or project using a popular library.    If
you're interested in web development, you might want to work through
the Django tutorial.   If you deal with servers, write something to
parse log files and do some interesting stats.  If you just want
Python on your CV, use ReportLab's library to generate a CV in PDF.

You will probably be over the hump in a very small number of evenings.

On 26 June 2013 13:34, Tim Diggins <tim at red56.co.uk> wrote:

>> However, is fancy book learning the best method to learn?
>>
> only recommended method if learning in the bath / on the beach ;-)

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420