[python-uk] [OT] about ubuntu and secure boot

John Lenton jlenton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:36:00 CET 2013

Hi!

Somebody in team 2 in the dojo had a notebook that was booting windows 8
and running ubuntu in a vm because they didn't want to be guinea pigs for
secure boot on ubuntu. Sorry that I'm so terrible with names I can't
remember who it was. Anyway, I thought you could use this that recently
came up in an internal list here at Canonical:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Steve Langasek <
steve.langasek at canonical.com> wrote:
> Quite a bit of work went into ensuring that 12.10 would boot out of the
box
> with Secure Boot enabled with no problems; and 12.04 before that should
> already support booting and installing under UEFI.  The Secure Boot work
is
> also being backported for inclusion in the 12.04.2 point release, so if
> you're running into issues with it, we definitely would like to know.
> Please file a bug report against the shim package about any issues booting
> 12.10 on secureboot-enabled systems.
>
> Note that Secure Boot - and UEFI generally - is only enabled on the amd64
> images, *not* on the i386 images; so if you were using the i386 image,
that
> would also explain why you weren't able to use it.

(quoted with permission :-) )

So, 12.10 should have you safely outside of guinea pig territory already.
If you need the LTS, wait for 12.04.2 (2013-01-31).

HTH,

--
John Lenton (jlenton at gmail.com) ::: http://chipaca.com