[python-uk] Advice on decorator grammar

Nick Murdoch nick at nivan.net
Thu Apr 4 11:16:07 CEST 2013

Hi Simon,

It might be of use to you to know that the decorator syntax is actually a syntactic shortcut for a longer way of writing the same thing.

For instance,

@mydecorator
def foo(a, b):
    pass

is identical to

def foo(a, b):
    pass
foo = mydecorator(foo)

If you wanted to only apply the decorator at certain times, you could call the decorator directly when you need it. There'd be a bit of overhead since you're re-running the decorator function each time, but I'll leave it to you to decide whether that's a problem for your use case.

For example:

foo(1, 2)               # runs without decoration
mydecorator(foo)(1, 2)  # runs with decoration

You could expand this further, for instance your decorator could expose the original function so you don't have to keep on re-running the decorator.

decoratedfoo = mydecorator(foo)     # create decorated function
decoratedfoo(1, 2)                  # run decorated function
decoratedfoo.orig(1, 2)             # run original function

Hope that helps,

Nick