[python-uk] Jolt Online Gaming is hiring (another Python related job)

Jaime Buelta jaime.buelta at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:15:58 CEST 2011

Hi everyone:

  I don't usually use this list for these kind of things, but right now is
proving quite hard to find good developers, and, as I am really happy with
my job in Jolt (my current employer), I feel obligated to lend a hand and
try to spread the word as much as possible. I know there has been some
discussion about if job offers are available in this distribution list or
not. Hope is relevant for everyone.

  There are currently two available positions in the development team, a
lead Flash developer<http://joltonline.com/aboutus/jobs/Senior_Developer_JD.pdf>
 and a senior Python
developer<http://joltonline.com/aboutus/jobs/Senior_Developer_JD.pdf>.
The links are the official job descriptions, but I would like to tell a bit
more about the tools we use everyday and the company, and about my
experience working here.

  First of all, basic info about the company. *Jolt Online Gaming* is a
games company based in Dublin, Ireland. Specifically, online free-to-play
games, with social elements on them. Our latest releases are Playboy Party
(in Facebook)  <http://apps.facebook.com/playboyparty>and Utopia Kingdoms
(available in Facebook <http://apps.facebook.com/utopiakingdoms/> and
Kongregate <http://www.kongregate.com/games/JoltOnline/utopia-kingdoms>). We
are just about to release a new football management game, Championship
Manager on Facebook.

  On the technical side of things, we try to find the right tool for each
problem, so a lot of innovation is not only expected, but encouraged. We
build our systems thinking of millions of players, which is always
challenging. Scalability and performance are always important when making
choices. Learning new things and being up-to-date is important.

  Some of the cool technologies and tools that we currently are using are:

   - *Languages*: Recently, the focus is mainly *Python* for backend and
   Flash (*ActionScript*) for frontend, but there are also develops in Ruby,
   JavaScript and other languages.
   - *Frameworks*: Several Python ones, including *Pylons, CherryPy, Django*
    and *web.py*. In the past we have used also Ruby on Rails.
   - *Databases*: *NoSQL databases* like MongoDB and Cassandra are being
   more and more important, but we also make good use of *MySQL* when fits.
   - *Amazon services*: Our infrastructure is based on *Linux* servers
   living in Amazon cloud services, making extensive use of *Ec2*, *S3* and
   others.
   - *DVCS*: We use *git* in all our projects.

  Another important detail about my work here, is that I am able to see
almost immediately that a change on the code is reflected in the gameplay of
thousands. It's good (and sometimes a little scary) to know that lots of
people are using the software you're developing, and they are having fun
with it.
  About the experience working here, I have to say that is absolutely
fantastic. Not only do we work making games, but, of course, we love to play
them. We often play boardgames and console games in the office, and we have
a great time together. It's hard to imagine a nicer and friendlier place to
work. I also learn something new everyday from my coworkers. A great
environment of cooperation, with lots of freedom to do the things your way.
  The developers work closely with game designers and artists, which is also
rewarding and leads to better understanding of the needs of the final game.

  If any of this sounds interesting, you can send an email directly to
jobs at joltonline.com or you can contact me if you prefer on this email
address.

Cheers,
    Jaime Buelta