[python-uk] Python jobs at Rangespan

Jonathan Hartley jonathan at rangespan.com
Tue Jun 21 15:03:36 CEST 2011

Hey folks,

We seemed to decide the list is happy with a few appropriate job posts,
and my new employer is hiring, so I thought I'd send this:

Rangespan is a six month old Python-oriented startup, currently around
ten people, based in Paddington Station, London.

We're looking for experienced developers, with strong computer science
backgrounds, and the sort of high profile that comes with expertise and
a pro-active attitude: Python core contributors, conference speakers,
open source contributors & project leaders, thoughtful agile
evangelists, and scalability experts. We need a data scientist, too.

In my first two weeks here I've been impressed by the high standards of
quality and the company's vaulting ambition. We provide high-scale
e-commerce technology to create a revolutionary marketplace between
major online retailers, and a vast network of suppliers, transacting
across millions of products daily. Development has progressed enough to
start deploying and demonstrating the reality of this vision, but is
still early enough that all of us have a substantial effect on the
future of the company.

We have roles for various levels, up to £50k base, plus equity in a
company that has a fighting chance of revolutionizing the relationship
between retailers and suppliers.

The sort of experience we're looking for includes:

    * Highly fluent in Python, experienced with Django, Amazon Web
      Services, MySQL and MongoDB.
    * Ability to contribute to an Agile environment, introducing new
      practices, refining our process, being strong on testing and TDD.
    * Expertise in architecting, coding & deploying RESTful web services
      & web applications.
    * Automated deployments to EC2.
    * Provisioning new hardware and debugging live code.
    * Ability to attract additional world-class software developers.
    * BS, MS or PhD degree in Computer Science or equivalent field.

The founders are ex-Amazon executives and engineers, and bring a wealth
of commercial and operational expertise. While the atmosphere is
informal and affable, the technical team is intimidatingly proficient.
To quote one of our founders "It's critical to the success of our
business to create the highest quality engineering team possible, so
that we can provide the best technical infrastructure in the world." We
don't use recruiters, because they don't match up to the quality of
candidates we insist upon.

If you want to work alongside the best of the best, drop us a line.

I'm happy to answer casual questions personally, and if you want to make
a formal application, see http://rangespan.com/jobs/

Cheers

     Jonathan

--