[python-uk] Python UK user groups / website / coordination

Nicholas Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Mon Aug 2 10:16:52 CEST 2010

Folks,

During Europython a group of us who organise various Python related user groups within the UK went for a drink. Here's what we talked about:

* We should organise an IRC chat sometime in August to coordinate ourselves.
* Since we're spread rather thin on the ground it'd be good to coordinate a central "Python-UK" page for user groups / events that could contain a google-calendar, tweet-stream and links etc... (KISS)
* We might be able to support the costs of running the site by having a very simple job-board for UK related Python jobs (er... 37signals ask for $400 for 30 days of advert for Ruby jobs - someone asked me to find out the figures)
* It'd be great if there were more coordination between groups so they might be able to swap speakers, cooperate at events or organise activities together.
* Some sort of python-hacker-barn-weekend event sounds cool.
* The PSF might be persuaded to contribute some money for stuff.
* We should try to make better use of the python-uk mailing list (hence this message) :-)

We all handed over our email addresses and a Doodle (http://www.doodle.com/) for the first IRC meeting was created.

Just to keep momentum going, I personally think it'd be interesting to hear what the wider UK-Python community thinks about this and it also gives us an opportunity to make sure we haven't missed anyone who might be interested in joining in.

Also, this email nudges things along so we don't end up as a beery conference plan rather than something we actually act upon! :-)

All the best,

Nicholas.