[python-uk] easy_install pip won't work, am concerned Ministry of Packaging may chase after me.

Jon Ribbens jon+python-uk at unequivocal.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 12:29:46 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 10:59:20AM +0100, Jonathan Hartley wrote:
> On 01/04/2010 02:39, Jon Ribbens wrote:
>> I strongly advise not using easy_install, it's awful.
>
> Living up to your domain name, I see.

Someone else has equivocal.co.uk I'm afraid :-p

> I might have preferred the gentler 'has been superseded'. :-)

If it's been superceded, it's by "python setup.py install", which
actually preceded it and worked better. As far as I can tell,
easy_install is trying to solve an already-solved problem, and
doing it worse than the existing solution.

> I know that's not much bother, but in case it enhances my
> understanding, are there specific reasons why 'easy_install pip' is
> harmful in this context?

See the other message I posted just now.