[python-uk] 2nd London Python Dojo - 18:30 15 October 2009 at Fry-IT

Nicholas Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Tue Oct 6 22:21:36 CEST 2009

Paul and Dave,

Yes, we've definitely taken on board the mouse/keyboard/editor
comments from the feedback at the end of the last dojo. We've got
desktop machine running XP and/or Linux in the office that we could
use... alternatively, if you can bring a laptop that'd be great.

The reason I used my MacBook last time was because of the screen
situation... I *knew for certain* that it worked pretty effortlessly
with the projector and second monitor (a setup we want to use again).
Unfortunately, I'd been trying to get X to work with an external
monitor and ended up realising I'd rather stick forks in my eyes. ;-)

Anyway, here's how *I* imagine the setup to be to make participants as
comfortable as possible (on my MacBook):

1) A single screen shared from the laptop to the projector and a third
monitor that we'll stick towards the back of the room for those who
can't follow what's going on at the front because they forgot their
Opera glasses
2) A USB PC keyboard and mouse
3) A "visual" editor a la gEdit that is neutral in the editor wars...
(suggestions..?)
4) Python 2.6
5) Git

If anyone else would like to contribute a laptop/OS that'd be great.
If you can make it work, we should use it and we can always fall back
on my MacBook if all else fails.

As for IronPython... I suppose that'll need some thought before-hand
for the purposes of configuration. I know the Resolver guys will be
there to call on for help and I don't mind getting the thing to run on
Mono on my MacBook, but I think the whole subject of IronPython/Jython/
Pypy and cPython alternatives might be a good subject for a show-and-
tell type dojo (make your Python write once, run everywhere).

As always, comments, suggestions and good ideas are most welcome.

Nicholas.