[python-uk] python-uk Digest, Vol 69, Issue 1

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Thu May 7 23:57:32 CEST 2009

Hello,

2009/5/7 Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com>:
> 2009/5/7 John Pinner <funthyme at gmail.com>:
>> But if you are developing new software you should be using Python 3,
>> ready for when it becomes the default in Linux distributions (already
>> it is, in Ubuntu 9.04).
>
> I just did a clean install of Ubuntu desktop 9.04 2 days ago, and
> typing 'python' brings up 2.6.2.    I have to type 'python3' to get
> Python 3.0.   So I'm not sure what "the default" means.

Sorry, my mistake. 2.6 is the default, Python 3 is installed, but is
not the default. Put this down to Dr Alzheimer...

> Otherwise I fully agree (but still dread upgrading ten years worth of code...)

Quite. We've decided to keep the old stuff as is, develop new stuff in
Python 3, and redevelop (rather than convert) old Python 2 systems
into Python 3, only we think they have a long term future.

Best wishes,

John