[python-uk] [JOB] Python/Django Developer at United Nations Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring Centre in Cambridge

Simon Tokumine si.tokumine at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 13:17:50 CEST 2009

Hi all,

At UNEP-WCMC (United Nations Environment Programme World Conservation
Monitoring Centre) in Cambridge, we're looking for a developer to join our
Biodiversity Informatics team to help us make scientific focused web apps
for multiple high profile projects.  Specific projects include raising
awareness of national parks around the world, mobile apps using iPhone 3.0
sensor tech, climate change predictions on the web and UK Ecosystem
Assessment online.   All projects will involve combining the scientific
knowledge within the centre with technology, and many will include some
exposure to online mapping technologies either through ESRI products, or
through OSS such as MapServer/tilecache.

A good example of our current output is the World Database of Protected
Areas Marine: http://www.wdpa-marine.org/ and our recent widget that shows
recorded biodiversity within protected areas:
http://widgets.gbif.org/pa/index.html#/country/BZ

We're ideally looking for Python/Django/GeoDjango friendly developers, with
1-2 years experience, but will consider other relevant experience.
Experience with Flex/AS3, Objective-C would be a bonus, but not essential.
 I came from a Ruby shop, so interest and a good history of developing
public facing apps is more important than specific tech. An interest in
conservation and the natural world would also be desirable :).

Salary range: £20k-£37k.

I'm a senior developer here, and am happy to answer any questions (email,
phone, twitter even!), and have a more formal job advert that I can forward
to any and all that are interested.

Thanks for your time,

Simon Tokumine
--