[python-uk] Python based package installation, how to?

John Pinner john at clocksoft.com
Tue Dec 15 09:45:38 CET 2009

Hello Jia,

What version of Linux are you running?

If it's Debian-based, in their wisdom they've changed the search
paths, so that a Python standard install may install to a path that
Debian doesn't search. Youd' need to set your pythonpath to include,
most likely, /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages.

2009/12/15 JIA Pei <jp4work at gmail.com>:

> Hi, all:
>
> Just start using python and want to install some python based packages.
>
> However, after installation, only some of the python packages can be
> imported, while other won't.
>

> For example
> pyml at http://pyml.sourceforge.net/
>
> what I've done are:
>
> $ sudo python setup.py  install
> $ easy_install pyml

easy_install is redundant after the previous statement.

> $ python
> Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Nov  2 2009, 14:38:03)
> [GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named pyml
>>>>

> Can anybody please give me a hand?

I'm in meetings for the rest of day: I'm sure soemone else can help though.

Best wishes,

John