[python-uk] Python evening talks in London

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Mar 15 11:07:25 CET 2007

Andy Robinson wrote:

> I've been talking to a friend who is discovering the joys of Python, and
> is a committee member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology
> (www.theiet.org)  He believes we could get rooms in their place, which
> is next to the Savoy, to hold evening talks followed by networking over
> a drink or two.  They have a distinguished location with rooms for
> anything from 20 up to 200 and he believes it could cost little or
> nothing to the visitors.
>
> The general idea would be a talk on some Python-related subjects,
> libraries or frameworks, about once a month, which can reach a wider
> network of developers than usually turn up for the pub sessions.  People
> would be encouraged to bring laptops (Wifi available) and try out
> whatever's being talked about, so if they discovered a few useful
> libraries for a task, they could put them to work next day; and
> experience Pythonistas could advise newbies.
>
> A proposal is needed to their committee by end of this month.  So,
> - who'd find something like this useful?
> - who'd like to give talks, and on what?
> - who'd like to hear talks, and on what?
> - who'd bring colleagues along?
> - any thoughts on format, target audience and so on....

I think it's a great idea. My personal offering is of the
Python-useful-even-under-Windows variety, especially WMI I
suppose, and to some extent Python-useful-for-database-stuff
variety. (My bread-and-butter work is SQL analysis & development).

I'd listen to any talks which were going and I'd certainly try
to get my colleagues along. If I think of any good ideas for
format etc. I'll post them up.

TJG